Pages

Thursday 6 October 2011

Bellevue Rendez-Vous, London SW17


Don't you just love it when you have a good local place. The kind that you invite your friends to join you for dinner or a weekend lunch because you know that even if they have to make a 50 minute journey across London, they will thank you and find that the journey was worth it. Bellevue Rendez-Vous, a french restaurant just by Wandsworth Common and round the corner from the very famous Chez Bruce is not like that. This is the kind of place that makes you want to move to the area just to make it your local.

This is not your classic french restaurant with sombre tones and austere staff. The brightly coloured walls and green runners on the table it put you at ease and the friendly waitress prepare you for an thoroughly enjoyable meal.


Foie Gras
There is an option of a set menu, £21 for 2 courses, £25 for 3 and of course the a la carte. The menu includes such french things as snails for starters and rabbit as main. I had the foie gras to start. When it arrived I was somewhat concerned as to me it seemed like nothing more than a slab of velvet looking terrine. A large basket of french bread to accompany this, the taste was less slab and more velvet, and definitely foie gras. Lots of it, and you know how I like lots of food.

Then it was the rabbit for me. The waitress came back twice. The first time to say that it is served with mashed potatoes, the second to say that actually it's served with lentils. So much the better I thought. I prefer lentils.

Rabbit with lentils
The rabbit was succulent and delicious. The lentils were creamy and moreish. I'm not sure what I liked more. Nonetheless, it's a combination that I've never tried before and it works well. The best thing about it? This is a place for people who like to eat food-not just look at it. After the two courses I didn't need dessert.

Do I still think you should go? Absolutely. Do I think that it's worth a visit from locals and visitors to the area alike? Definitely. It's a nice little area to explore; complete with the local pub, boutique and overground station. If it's not raining, the Common makes for a nice walk. Bellevue Rendez-Vous ticks all the boxes.

Expect to pay around £35 for 3 courses without wine, service is not included on the bill

Bellevue Rendez-vouz, 218 Trinity Road, Wandsworth Common, London, SW17 7HP Tel: 020 8767 5810 Bellevue Rendez-vous on Urbanspoon

1 comment: