Pages

Thursday 28 July 2011

Galapagos Foods, Battersea, London SW11

There are times that, much as I like to cook, I just can't be bothered. I don't want a big night out, I just want to have some good food, without any of the fuss. Being in this mood, on my way home I hopped off the bus and headed to Battersea High Street. I did have a place in mind from last Saturday when I tasted some of the wonderful pies at their stall in Northcote Road market: Galapagos Foods. Battersea High Street starts off (or ends-I'm not sure which) at the popular Battersea Square. A promising start with the bustling cafes and restaurants-the place to be when the sun is out. The high street is a mixture of and ambitious restaurant and a pub and the more old fashioned barbers and not-very-glamorous internet cafe. A perfect fusion of the diversity of the area.

I walked in to be greeted by the friendly owner, Elaine and her husband. On the walls you find souvenirs obviously from their travels. I noticed the aboriginal artefact on the wall to the Galapagos turtle mosaic. And then there are some products for sale like olive oil and tea. I looked around and I though the walls could do with some paint. On the other hand, I quite liked it. A very down to earth place. The sort that is hard to come by nowadays in London. They are obviously too busy thinking about the food.

The black board indicates a choice of courses comprising the set menu. The a la carte has a wide variety of dishes from all over the globe: from moroccan tagine to corsican beef casserole. I had the latter. It was served with penne and although I found the beef excellent, the accompaniment of penne was a bit boring. Saying this Elaine was very welcome to suggestions.

I was asked for if I wanted dessert. Being curious Elaine gave me a list (verbally) of 8 or 10. I'm not sure what I was more impressed by. The fact that there was such a big choice or that she remembered to list them all! Everything is made either by Elaine or by their chef. I had the walnut and ricotta cake. I have to say this was proper cake, moist but not too sweet.

At just under £20pp with a glass of wine for two courses, I would say it's a tad overpriced, but a small price to pay for such genuine food and the friendliness of the owners.

Galapagos Foods, 169 Battersea High Street, London SW11 3JS Tel: 020 8488 4989 www.galapagosfoods.co.uk
Galapagos Foods on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment