Pages

Sunday 3 July 2011

Pollen Street Social, London W1

I have wanted to go to Pollen Street Social, Jason Atherton's first solo venture, since it opened almost 10 weeks ago. Much talked about and reviewed, as expected it is very popular and you have to reserve well in advance. I managed to make a reservation for a monday evening.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect. When I left I couldn't wait to write about it. It's easy to write about somewhere that is not so good, there's little to say. Pollen Street Social is a different story all together, but a story at that. Everything I can think about is worth a mention. The design, the service, the food and of course the chef himself.

My friend and I commented on the lighting a few times. The art on the walls, discrete in its way yet seemed to draw my attention with every look in any direction, offset by delicate baubles of light suspended above us.

I am wary of places where you can't talk much. It didn't take us long to relax and start having fun either. The glass of excellent sparkling wine, Nyetimber East Sussex, we each had helped. This place has quite a buzz to it, with the staff also being friendly and chatty. People here looked like they were having fun.

We poured over the menu. To start I had the scallop ceviche. I don't usually like dishes which try to incorporate too many flavours. I find it overbearing. This dish was anything but overbearing. The delicate flavours of the scallops were perfectly complimented by the finely sliced baby cucumber and radish. There was an explosion of different flavours with every mouthful, from the intensity of the citrus to the gentleness and freshness of the cucumber.

I then had the roasted halibut with paella. The halibut was roasted to perfection. Whatever I say about the paella I can't do it justice, with the different flavours working together seamlessly.

After this, of course we had to have dessert. Rice pudding for me. I wouldn't have thought that citrus and dairy work together, but by this stage I blindly trusted the recommendations of the staff. Our waitor was right. The fusion of the texture and the taste, not to mention the hay ice cream (yes, hay) was excellent.

In terms of wine, one is not short of choices, with options by the glass and half bottle also. We had a bottle of the St Emilion. Delectable.

At one instance my friend was telling our waitor how she normally doesn't like trendy places. He pointed out that this is not trendy, it is social. It certainly is. It is relaxed allowing you to enjoy both the company and the surroundings while at the same time the standard is maintained to five star level throughout. The small details like wine coasters and even the delightful goodie bags, presented out of small safes always make a different.

I even had the chance to briefly chat to Jason Atherton himself. Very social. Made me feel quite at home.

Expect to pay around £50 per person including service, without wine.

Pollen Street Social, 10 Pollen Street W1S 1NQ Tel: 020 7290 7600 http://www.pollenstreetsocial.com/
Pollen Street Social on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. I heard about Pollen Street Social, and it's in my top list of places to go when I'm back in London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete